Monday, May 6, 2013

Week 15...walking through that door

Well it’s Monday and last week got passed me, so here is last week’s
blog coming out now. Sometimes we go through life and wonder why
things happen to us the way they do. Well I’m a true believer that God
opens doors for us all the time, it’s up to us to “listen” and “trust”
and walk through.

Last Monday, I gave my notice to the school district I have worked at
for the last three years. It was really hard for me to do. I love my
job; it is so much more than a job. The students I teach hold a very
dear place in my heart. We have been through so many trials and
tribulations together and to see them accomplish such huge hurdles is
such an amazing feeling. I feel like I’m leaving when I haven’t
finished what I started. The staff is like my extended family, I’ve
watched some get married, have children, get promotions, graduate with
higher levels of education and much, much more.
When I was in Florida interviewing the week before, one of the
Principals I met with said something to me that will stick with me
forever. He said I can tell your struggling, I replied, yes I am, I’m
not finished with my students back home. He said, Adrienne, you need
to look at this as you have helped many students where you are now,
and have built a foundation for them. There are student/students down
here that need you too. It made perfect sense. My move to Florida is
bittersweet.

Life throws many curve balls, and people go through things that
sometimes I wonder how they get up in the morning. I look at some of
the students I have taught over the years and what they have dealt in
their lifetime and wonder how they even get to school more less do the
work they are asked to complete.


I have talked a lot about my sister Cheryl and her family, and how she
has helped me get to this point in my life. I have another incredibly
strong sister that lives in the same hometown in Kansas City that
Cheryl did, her name is Tracy. She and I were the closest in age, and
grew up in the house at the same time. We have had our share of fights
but we are very tight and I look to her for advice all the time. She
works for Hospice and has a heart of gold. Her husband is a police
officer for Platte County and she has two sons, Dylan and Jake.

Dylan has always been very dear to me; I remember before I had
children of my own, I would just go over to their house and watch TV
with him for hours. He and I have always remained close through all of
the families’ disagreements. Dylan is now in Ft Benning, Georgia and
was promoted to a Sgt in the US Army this past week. Dylan has been in
the Army now for two years as a Tank driver. He is one that has always
taken chances, believing in himself and showing others he can do
whatever he puts his mind too. I can’t express how proud of him that I
am and how he is a true inspiration to me.

Jake is my other nephew and he is also one that if he puts his mind to it, he will make it happen. He is 11, but very mature for his age. He is driven towards success
and works very hard to master all sports. He is currently playing on
two baseball teams, and has batting practice at least twice a week.
I love my family and I’m so thankful that I have them. Family is
forever regardless of your difference; they shouldn’t judge you and
should be there for you when you fall. I have been very blessed in my
lifetime to have so many people that I can call my family even those
that are not blood related.
As I start this new chapter in my life and walk through that door, I
pray that I can continue to make a difference in young children’s
lives through teaching and others with Cheryl’s Bras.
I had my last follow up appointment today from my very last surgery, I
hope. It went very well; I will not have to follow up again until
November. I left a gift for my doctor, and asked that she share the
bras with those that cannot afford a bra. My doctor has a charity
called Gateway to Hope, which throws lifelines to those who have heard
the four dreaded words, “You have breast cancer” and who are
frightened because they have nowhere to turn for the treatment they
need to survive. I asked that she give Cheryl’s bras to three woman
she felt needed them. She told me she would be happy too.

We don’t always understand God’s plan for us but if we “listen” and
“trust” and walk through that door, we will one day see what he has in
store for us.
Ephesians 1:5
His unchanging plan has always been to adopt us into his own family by
bringing us to himself through Jesus Christ.
Never give up hope, until next time, have a great week,” listen”,”
trust”, and take that chance!

Love,
Adrienne

1 comment:

  1. You are amazing my friend. Just amazing. I'm so proud of you for everything you are doing!

    ReplyDelete